Kokua Market

The only natural foods cooperative in Hawai`i!

We would LOVE to hear from more of you.  What is on your Kokua Market wish list?  Please let us know here.  Looking forward to learning what's on your mind.

Views: 529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is probably not the best answer either politically or ecologically but I would love to see more meat options at Kokua. While I don't eat meat, the rest of my family does, and I try to give them the best meat I can (less chemicals, less processing, locally grown, fresh and not frozen, etc.). Is it possible to get locally grown meat that isn't frozen, or even meat slices like ham that are minimally processed? I do appreciate the Kulana beef and other meats in the freezer! :)
Thanks for your wish list item! Will seek an answer for you.

Heather Williams said:
This is probably not the best answer either politically or ecologically but I would love to see more meat options at Kokua. While I don't eat meat, the rest of my family does, and I try to give them the best meat I can (less chemicals, less processing, locally grown, fresh and not frozen, etc.). Is it possible to get locally grown meat that isn't frozen, or even meat slices like ham that are minimally processed? I do appreciate the Kulana beef and other meats in the freezer! :)
Suggested product to sell besides the plain wheat gluten is Gardein™. Ingredients: chick'n: water, soy protein, vital wheat gluten, ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet and kamut®), natural flavors (from plant sources), potato starch, expeller pressed canola oil and/or safflower oil, pea protein, modified vegetable gum, carrot fiber, organic beet root fiber, organic evaporated cane juice, yeast extract, sea salt. rub: spices, red bell pepper flakes.
> I've seen it at Safeway and according to Google, it is also being sold at Whole Foods. I saw this on Oprah last year when she had chef Tal Ronnen, author of The Conscious Cook cookbook, on her show.

Thanks,
Susan Yamada
Answer about this product coming as soon as possible! Thanks :-)

Susan Yamada said:
Suggested product to sell besides the plain wheat gluten is Gardein™. Ingredients: chick'n: water, soy protein, vital wheat gluten, ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet and kamut®), natural flavors (from plant sources), potato starch, expeller pressed canola oil and/or safflower oil, pea protein, modified vegetable gum, carrot fiber, organic beet root fiber, organic evaporated cane juice, yeast extract, sea salt. rub: spices, red bell pepper flakes.
> I've seen it at Safeway and according to Google, it is also being sold at Whole Foods. I saw this on Oprah last year when she had chef Tal Ronnen, author of The Conscious Cook cookbook, on her show.

Thanks,
Susan Yamada
Hi!
Peter and I are recent members and we bought a bunch of on-line gift points thinking we could buy things in the store with the points. Are there any actual items for sale with the gift points and if so, how do you purchase them?
Thanks! Tom and Peter McDonald
Hi to both of you. The online gift points are just a fun virtual way to reach out to people and are not redeemable for any store items. Thanks for asking! See you in the store.

Tom and Peter McDonald said:
Hi!
Peter and I are recent members and we bought a bunch of on-line gift points thinking we could buy things in the store with the points. Are there any actual items for sale with the gift points and if so, how do you purchase them?
Thanks! Tom and Peter McDonald
The short answer is that the supplier Kokua purchases from doesn't currently carry this item. Thanks again for asking!

Susan Yamada said:

Thanks,
Susan Yamada
Meat is not always a bad thing. The guy that goes into the mountains and makes kalua out of a wild pig, teriyaki out of wild deer, jerky out of wild goat (particularly if it's near Kalalau) is doing us all a huge favor environment-wise.

I was just on Maui and they have a lot of local products available -

Haleakala Distillers makes 'okolehau. I've tried it and it is tasty. ( www.haleakaladistillers.com )
Maui Cattle Co has great beef ( www.mauicattlecompany.com ) although I love the bison currently stocked
Surfing Goat Dairy makes good cheese ( www.surfinggoatdairy.com )
Maui Taro burgers ( www.hawaiitaro.com ) (not sure if this is already carried)

Also, how about Big Island milk? Don't remember the brand name, but the carton is tri-colored (black, white, green).
(Might be "Island Dairy" - http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2008/09/03/local//local01.txt)

How about Hanalei Poi? (or is that already stocked? I forget now...) Or Anahola Granola ( http://www.anaholagranola.com/ ) ?

I am still liking this shampoo by Gabriel Cosmetics over Aubrey, Alba, Jason, Dr Bronners, Kiss My Face, Giovanni, Nature's Gate, Avalon Organics, Alaffia (oh that was the worst), and even Burt's Bees:
http://www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.dis...

Found it at Papaya's on Kauai, but haven't seen it anywhere else. Many of the above brands seem to leave massive residue behind. The Gabriel shampoo has a very short ingredient list that looks more benign than anything else I've found. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't come in a larger bottle.
Thanks for all you suggestions! Will take everything into consideration :-)

kim kido said:
Meat is not always a bad thing. The guy that goes into the mountains and makes kalua out of a wild pig, teriyaki out of wild deer, jerky out of wild goat (particularly if it's near Kalalau) is doing us all a huge favor environment-wise.

I was just on Maui and they have a lot of local products available -

Haleakala Distillers makes 'okolehau. I've tried it and it is tasty. ( haleakaladistillers.com )
Maui Cattle Co has great beef ( mauicattlecompany.com )
Surfing Goat Dairy makes good cheese ( surfinggoatdairy.com )
Maui Taro burgers ( hawaiitaro.com ) (not sure if this is already carried)

Also, how about Big Island milk? Don't remember the brand name, but the carton is tri-colored (black, white, green).
(Might be "Island Dairy" - http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2008/09/03/local//local01.txt)

How about Hanalei Poi? (or is that already stocked? I forget now...) Or Anahola Granola ( http://www.anaholagranola.com/ ) ?

I am still liking this shampoo by Gabriel Cosmetics over Aubrey, Alba, Jason, Dr Bronners, Kiss My Face, Giovanni, Nature's Gate, Avalon Organics, Alaffia (oh that was the worst), and even Burt's Bees:
http://www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.dis...

Found it at Papaya's on Kauai, but haven't seen it anywhere else. Many of the above brands seem to leave massive residue behind. The Gabriel shampoo has a very short ingredient list that looks more benign than anything else I've found. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't come in a larger bottle.
I would love to see at least some of the specials advertised in the newsletter, especially since I don't shop at the store very week. I might shop more often if I know what's on sale.
I agree! Meat and seafood items.

Heather Williams said:
Thanks for your replies and comments on the wish list.

Joannie said:
I agree! Meat and seafood items.

Heather Williams said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Kokua Market Site Administrator.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service